Due to insistent public demand (lol), I compile several Q&A lists that will help people who want to be an online FREElancer like me, get started.
Working online with a rate and a schedule of your choice is what it means to be a freelancer. Here are several questions that people I know, friends and family are asking me and you might want to ask too.
- Who am I?
Let me first introduce myself. Before you read any further, think first if the author has the right to give some piece of advice with regards of a certain topic. In my case, I am an online freelancer myself and I’ve been doing this for almost 7 years already. Therefore, I have the right to give you some piece of advice 😉
- What do you do online?
I do several and different things, from admin tasks to marketing ONLINE.
- Where do you get jobs?
Personally, I only get jobs from one outsourcing site which is Upwork. Upwork has been previously called oDesk. It turns Upwork when eLance (another outsourcing website) and oDesk merged.
- Do you work full time or you have other offline jobs?
I say full time (though I have jobs on a contractual basis) because I don’t have any other means than this since I started July, 2009
- Who introduce Upwork to you?
Architect Charlot Fernandez (whom I will be forever grateful of), who has been working online part time and working as a Project Architect in an Engineering firm at the same time. Now, she is working online full time as an SEO Specialist and a proud WAHM.
- What makes you decide to work online?
I’ve been dreaming of FREEdom. I wish to work on my own time, in my own place, in my own pace, whenever I want and wherever I want. This is what I am seeking for so I dive in!
- Is it for me?
Only you can answer that. If you are motivated on your own, you love to be challenged, you are competitive and a risk-taker then this is for you.
- How can I get started?
- First sign up at any outsourcing platform of your choice. If you are asking me how to sign up, I will not tell you. If you can’t do a simple task like signing up in a single platform, you shouldn’t be here and this is definitely not for you. No hard feelings and no offense meant.
- – Onlinejobs.ph
- Complete all the details and information needed. Usually there is a guide for you on how to get started.
- Upload your best picture, the one that smiling successfully. Clients are seeking for freelancers with a positive aura. It will help you land a job.
- Take a readiness test (this is for Upwork).
- Think of a title that suits your skills i.e programmer
- Look for jobs that match your skills. Create a cover letter that kills. Don’t stop until you get the deal.
I will update this from time to time. If you have any questions that aren’t included here, feel free to comment and I will answer you right away.
Good luck and break a leg!
Cliff Hazel Santos is a Top Rated Upwork Freelancer, with 100% job success rate. She is also an entrepreneur, she owns Dive-In Travel Agency and she is an aspiring blogger.